It’s a cold, game-day Sunday, and you’re looking for something fun to cook up for the family. These new twists on the classic kids’ food will have everyone’s mouth watering. Yes, everyone.
Because … well, BACON. Yes, we’ve added bacon. (And cheese!) Enough said, right?
This all-out, sweet-meets-savoury game-day appetizer will draw a crowd and produce instant fans. Trust us, your home team will thank you.
500 mL (2 cups) frozen tater tots, thawed to room temperature
30 grams (1 ounce) sharp cheddar cheese, cut into .625 cm (1/4 inch) squares
4 slices bacon, each cut into thirds
50 mL (1/4 cup) brown sugar
5 mL (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F)
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Working separately, wrap each tater tot and cheese square individually, in a piece of bacon. Do this with all tater tots, cheese pieces and bacon
- Dredge each tater tot in the brown sugar, pressing to coat
- Place tater tots seam side down onto the lined baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning at halftime
- Garnish with parsley (optional) and serve immediately
If this tot recipe isn’t enough to keep your crowd satisfied throughout the game, cook up an easy entrée, the Hot Dish – a tried-and-true winter winner.
50 mL (1/4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
455 grams (1 pound) 80 percent lean ground beef?
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 mL (2 cups) frozen cut green beans, thawed
425 (1 3/4 cups) frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 (285 grams) 10-ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
455 grams (1 pound) frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the beef to the onions and cook until the meat is brown, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Transfer the beef and onion mixture from the skillet into a 23-by-33.5 cm (9-by-13-inch) baking dish
- Scatter the green beans and corn evenly on top. Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the vegetables and top with frozen tater tots. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, until tater tots are golden brown
Tip: Skip the baking dish and make the whole dish in a large cast-iron skillet!
What special sauce or dish can you share?