The kids have been out of school long enough that they’ve really ramped up their ongoing chorus of, “We’re bored! There’s nothing to do!” Or your friends or family are coming down for a weekend and you need some activities to keep everyone busy.
Regardless of the reason, here are a few tips on making your spur-of-the-moment summer party as smooth and stress-free as possible.
1. Location, Location, Location!
Just like real estate, planning a party is all about location. Quickly survey your friends and family and neighbourhood. You don’t need to overthink it – a backyard can be a perfect option – but you can check out some public parks, too. Many have pavilions you can rent out for the day. If someone has a pool, or there’s a public pool nearby, that’s always a great option.
2. Get Organized
Once you’ve settled on your party strategy and location, be sure to make a list of what you’ll need, including:
- Who you’re inviting
- Food and condiments (there’s nothing worse than making delicious burgers and forgetting the ketchup)
- Paper plates and Bounty paper towels
- Music options and equipment
- Game supplies
Making a list will help you stay organized on an extra tight timeline. Water balloons are always a great option. If you’re doing it at home, you can fill up a bunch in advance. Throw some squirt guns and sprinklers into the mix and you’re all set.
3. Food That’s Quick and Easy – Deciding on a menu for any party can feel overwhelming because there are so many options. But given the carefree atmosphere of most summer parties, there’s no need to worry about fancy appetizers and decadent deserts. Stick with simple and you’ll win every time.
If a grill is available, that’s a great choice. Hamburgers, hot dogs and some fixins’ are all you’ll need. And most will probably be happy to bring their favourite side dish and make it potluck-style.
Tip: Don’t forget that ordering pizza is always an option. A couple of hot slices paired with cold beverages spells fun for anyone.
Nothing steps the party up a notch like some good tunes. There’s no need for a private DJ, though. Do you have a friend who is always in the know when it comes to the next big hits and latest music artists? Have them bring their playlist and portable speakers so that they can help create the party vibe.
Don’t forget to have fun, too! Control what you can. Don’t worry about what you can’t. You’ve got this!