Soak your tired muscles in a steamy, hot bath scented with aromatic bath salts. You deserve it! Use this simple recipe to pamper yourself or your friends. Bath salts are easy and inexpensive to prepare at home and are great for relaxation or bundled up as gifts.
250 mL (1 cup) Epsom salts*
125 mL (1/2 cup) kosher salt
1 quart-size, freezer-grade re-sealable plastic bag
Mason jar, for storage
*Tip: Find Epsom salts at your local supermarket in the health and beauty aisle.
You can purchase a variety of essential oils, like lavender or eucalyptus, at your local craft or natural food store. Or use vanilla, lemon or mint extract, all of which might be in your kitchen!
- Place both salts into the plastic bag.
- Add one drop of food colouring, close the bag and shake to distribute colour. Repeat this process until the desired colour is achieved throughout the salt.*
- Add a couple drops of essential oil to the bag, seal and shake to distribute the scent. Repeat this process until the desired scent is achieved, usually about 5-10 drops
- Spread out the salts on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and allow them to dry for 1-2 hours to reduce clumping
- Carefully pour the salts into the jar with a funnel, then screw the lid tightly to preserve the scent
*Tip: It's important to add only one drop of food colouring at a time because multiple drops may begin to melt the salt.
Savour the Salts
Sprinkle half the contents of one batch into hot running water. Swirl them around with your hands until they’re dissolved. After soaking, replenish your skin's moisture with lotion while your skin is still damp. While bath salts are a relaxing treat, they can dry your skin if you use them too often. Be sure to keep your bath salts out of reach of small children!
- Try making two batches of different colours, and then layer them in the jar
- To create swirls, tip the jar in different directions while pouring the layers of salt
- Create scented layers with compatible scents. (Try vanilla and rose or lavender and eucalyptus)
- Place the sealing lid on top of a Mason jar. Set a square of fabric on top, and then screw the sealing ring onto the jar for a pretty patterned addition.
- Organize a pamper party! Make bath salts while sipping on calming herbal teas and snacking
- Assemble a gift basket for Mother’s Day or that special hostess in your life. Bundle up a jar with a fresh herb wreath and make her day!
Bath salts are an unexpected treat, but who could refuse one with a personal, decorative touch?