Save your empty jars and create memorable keepsakes with simple do-it-yourself snow globes. Delightful scenes are easy to assemble with just a few materials, and they’re perfect for gifting, party favours or simply preserving memories for years to come.
Empty jar with lid
Clear epoxy cement*
Sealed ceramic or plastic decorative items
Glitter, coloured beads, sequins or mini foam pebbles
*Tip: Purchase epoxy sealant at your local hardware or craft store.
**Tip: Bottles of glycerin are available at your local drug store in the health and beauty aisle. Glycerin works great because it’s a thick, clear liquid, but water, mineral or baby oil will work, too.
- Hand-wash the jar and lid with dish soap and remove all labelling
- Dry thoroughly
- Attach the decorative items to the lid with dabs of epoxy cement and allow to dry
- Fill the jar to the top with glycerin and sprinkle glitter, beads, foam pebbles or sequins into the jar
- Set the jar in the sink or on the ground outside because it will overflow when you add the lid (you don’t have to fill it to the top with liquid, but there will be empty space at the top when you turn the jar over)
- Carefully screw the decorated lid on the jar tightly, and then rinse or wipe the jar
- Turn it over and seal the lid around the edge with epoxy cement
- Allow it to dry
- Shake and enjoy
Tip: Adorn the edge of the jar lid with ribbon, beads, coloured paper, felt or bows.
- Tie different sizes of fishing line to small ornaments, and then glue the loose end of the fishing line to the lid. When the jar is filled with liquid, the ornaments will appear to float in the middle.
- Place a photo of friends in a hard plastic photo sleeve, available at your local office supply store, and glue the edge to the bottom of the lid to give it as a personalized gift!
- Use seashells and other vacation finds in the jar for a homemade keepsake.
- Glue a golf ball and attach golf tees to the lid with fishing line for a warm-hearted Father’s Day gift.