Welcome spring into your home with a few sweet treats that are as adorable as they are easy to make. From bird’s nest cookies to recreating a traditional spring dessert, read on for a few family-friendly recipes you’ll adore.
Haystack Cookie Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
300 grams (10 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate or butterscotch chips
15 mL (1 tbsp) shortening
1 bag chow mein noodles*
1 bag candy-coated chocolate peanuts or candy eggs
*Tip: You can find chow mein noodles in the international aisle of your local supermarket.
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and place it over high heat
- Set a heat-safe bowl on the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water
- Pour chocolate or butterscotch chips into the glass bowl as it’s heating, and let the water come to a boil
- Stir chocolate with a rubber spatula until it’s smooth and creamy. Stir constantly to avoid burning
- When the chips are melted, fold in the shortening
- Add the noodles to the mixture and toss to combine. Be careful to not break the noodles
- Drop spoonsful of the noodle mixture onto wax paper and gently press your thumb in the middle to create a pocket or “nest”
- Place a few candies in the centre of each nest. Let cool for about an hour to set
Tip: Use a different type of chip for each batch to create different-coloured candies. White chocolate and dark chocolate are perfect for this recipe.
Bonus: Sugar Cookie Decorative Eggs
Another easy way to usher in spring (and get the whole family involved in the kitchen) is to purchase premade sugar cookie dough and cut out oval cookies. Have the whole family come in and decorate their “cookie eggs” with bright icing patterns!