Skip the long Valentine’s Day lines (and expense) at restaurants by whipping up this decadent 3-course dinner for your loved one instead. Light those Febreze candles to set the mood and get cooking!
Wintry Pear Salad?
Prep time: 10 minutes
1 jar sliced pears, drained
115 to 170 grams (4 to 6 ounces) chevre (soft goat cheese) or other soft cheese, like feta cheese
1 red pepper, cut into rings
Butterhead lettuce (also called Boston or bibb lettuce)
75 mL (1/3 cup) walnuts, chopped and toasted
125 mL (1/2 cup) salad oil
45 mL (3 tablespoons) white wine vinegar
15 mL (1 tablespoon) Dijon mustard
- Arrange several pear slices, 30 to 45 grams (1 to 1 1/2 ounces) of cheese and red pepper rings on top of the lettuce on each plate. Sprinkle with walnuts
- Combine oil, vinegar and mustard in blender. Cover and run on medium for 1 minute. Carefully spoon dressing over each salad and serve
Alternative Options: If pears don’t suit your taste, substitute our tabbouleh salad for the first course.
Pork Tenderloin with Apples & Pearl Onions
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
910 grams (2 pounds) boneless pork tenderloin
50 mL (1/4 cup) spicy brown mustard
125 mL (1/2 cup) Italian bread crumbs
30 mL (2 tablespoons) olive oil
15 mL (1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
250 mL (1 cup) pearl onions
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced (save stems for garnish)
125 mL (1/2 cup) golden raisins
250 mL (1 cup) chicken stock, divided
1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
5 mL (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 230 C (450 F). Brush pork with mustard, and then coat with bread crumbs
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add pork, and then sear all sides until crisp and golden brown. Transfer pork to glass baking dish and set aside
- With the skillet still over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add pearl onions, fennel and raisins. Cook until onions and fennel are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in 125 mL (1/2 cup) chicken stock, and then let simmer for 5 more minutes
- Add apple, cinnamon, sea salt and remaining chicken stock. Return pork to the skillet, and then roast in the oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes
- Let pork rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish slices with fennel stems and raisins
Alternative Option: For another deliciously simple main course, whip up our tasty take on Parmesan chicken.
Black Forest Parfaits?
Prep time: 15 minutes
3 unfrosted chocolate cupcakes
175 mL (3/4 cup) chocolate syrup or chocolate fudge sauce
1 can cherry pie filling
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) sweetened whipped cream
- Dice cupcakes into 1.5 centimetre (1/2-inch) cubes, yielding 750 mL (3 cups)
- Layer the diced cupcakes in small clear shot glasses or cordial glasses
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and top each with 22 mL (1 1/2 tablespoons) of cherry pie filling and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish with shaved chocolate
Cleanup Tip: Spend the rest of the night enjoying each other’s company – not washing the dishes – by throwing Cascade Platinum Pacs into your dishwasher. You won’t even need to pre-wash!
Which of these recipes will you enjoy this Valentine’s Day? Log in or register for P&G everyday to let us know in the comments below!