By: Jackie Bruchez
Who says it has to be a holiday or a special occasion to enjoy a piece of pecan pie? These buttery pecan pie cookie bars can be enjoyed year around — and they’re straightforward to make.
Pecan Pie Cookie Bars
Makes: 24 bars
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
500 mL (2 cups) flour
125 mL (1/2 cup) confectioners’ sugar
1 mL (1/4 tsp) baking powder
250 mL (1 cup) butter, room temperature
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) dark corn syrup
150 mL (2/3 cup) dark brown sugar
4 large eggs
75 mL (1/3 cup) flour
10 mL (2 tsp) vanilla
2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) toasted coarsely-chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Combine the flour, confectioners’ sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat in the butter to the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Line a 23-by- 33-centimetre (9-by-13-inch) baking pan with foil that extends to the edges of the pan
- Press crust mixture evenly into the pan and bake for 15 minutes
While the crust is baking, make the filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients into a bowl, except the pecans
- Once filling is smooth and combined, stir in the pecans
- When the crust has finished baking, remove from oven and evenly spread with pecan filling
- Put the filled pan back in the oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes, or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean
- Cool completely, then cut into squares for serving
Tip: These cookie bars make the perfect hostess gift! Place them in a cute package and voila!
These homemade treats are perfect to pack in lunchboxes for yourself or your kids. If you’re lucky enough to pack one for yourself, have this with coffee or espresso for a blissful afternoon snack.
Jackie Bruchez is a wife and mother of three living in Solana Beach, Calif. She is the author of the food blog The Seaside Baker, which focuses on delicious baked desserts and the occasional savoury dish. She loves to travel and is currently working on a cookbook featuring West Coast farmers and cuisine.