By: Marina Delio
Summer means ripe, juicy tomatoes of every colour to enjoy. Green tomatoes are firm and not quite as sweet as their red counterparts, a trait that makes them perfect for cooking. Fried green tomatoes are a southern staple and the epitome of comfort food. Try this simple recipe that you can enjoy all summer long.
Fried Green Tomato Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2-centimetre (1/4-inch) thick
250 mL (1 cup) flour
250 mL (1 cup) cornmeal
5 mL (1 tsp) sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat 1 1/2 centimetres (1/2 inch) of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and cayenne. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs to lightly beat
- Blot tomatoes with paper towels to absorb any extra juice. Dip tomato slices into the egg to coat and then into the cornmeal mixture to coat
- Carefully place the tomatoes into the hot oil and cook until browned and tender, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired
Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes don’t necessarily have to be fried — you can bake them in the oven! Follow the traditional recipe above, but instead of heating oil in the frying pan, follow the instructions below.
- Preheat the oven to 230 C (450 F). Line a baking sheet foil and coat with cooking spray
- Place the breaded tomatoes on the baking sheet and coat the tops with more cooking spray
- Bake for 6 minutes per side or until tender and browned. If tomatoes are not browning enough, move them to the broiler for a minute or two. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired
- Add fried green tomatoes to crusty bread, pimento cheese and bacon for a southern-style BLT.
- Top gooey mac n’ cheese with crispy fried green tomatoes to add texture.
- Add them to traditional eggs Benedict for a savoury treat.
- Top a freshly grilled cheeseburger with a few fried green tomatoes to really celebrate summer.
What’s your favourite way to enjoy fried green tomatoes? Tell us in the comments section below!
Marina Delio is the author of the Yummy Mummy Kitchen blog and cookbook. She lives in Santa Barbara with husband, two little girls, cat and egg laying chickens. Marina loves cooking, gardening, photography, and living a healthy lifestyle with her family.