Freezer Friendly: Bonus Uses for Ice Cube Trays
Looking for quick and easy ways to make your life, well, quick and easy? Look no further than your freezer, or more accurately, your ice cube tray. Flip through the slideshow to find bonus uses for the common ice cube tray that help you cut corners in the prep and execution of daily life.
Before You Begin…
Before starting to reorganize with your ice cube trays, be sure to thoroughly hand wash with Dawn dish soap.
Cut Down on Prep Time
Forget prepackaged sauces and seasonings, ice cube trays are great for freezing measured amounts you can easily toss into your dinner to spice things up
- Freeze leftover sauces and stock in a tray, and then put them in a freezer bag for safekeeping. Toss one or two into your next dish (or warm one up to top a kid-sized serving of pasta).
- Freeze hard herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme and oregano) in a cube of olive oil. That way you've got an instant dish starter for your roast or stew, or a finishing touch for a pan sauce.
Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Let’s face it: Sometimes, after dinner, you just have to have something sweet. But since baking a whole batch of cookies every week just isn’t going to cut it, stock up your freezer with trays of these treats.
1. Cookie dough freezes up nicely in your standard ice cube tray. The next time you’re cooking up a batch, fill up a freezer tray and have individual cookies ready to bake when the craving strikes.
… Even More Sweets!
2. Fill the cube opening halfway with some melted semi-sweet chocolate, and then put a strawberry. Leave the tray in the refrigerator to let the chocolate set.
3. Your very own peanut butter cups can be formed as well, using the tray as a mold! Layer melted chocolate and peanut butter together and refrigerate until set.
Dress up Your Drinks
Flavour-infused ice cubes mean you can add flavour instead of diluting it with plain ice.
- Freeze fruit juice for flavoured ice cubes to add to club sodas and clear soft drinks.
- Add chocolate ice cubes to a glass of milk for something sweet.
- Freeze lemonade (and maybe even add a few blueberries to each cube) for a delicious addition to a glass of iced tea.
When your junk drawer overfloweth, use ice cube trays to keep the tiny stuff organized.
- Stow earrings and other jewellery in trays, and stack them to save space.
- Think about your kids’ teeny tiny toys. Keep them organized and off the floor (the soles of your feet will thank you) in repurposed ice cube trays.
- Take it outside – or, to the garage. Organize screws, nails and other small tool parts in the tray openings.
Do you have any refreshing ways to use your ice cube trays? Share them with the community in the comments below!