Any time you can get the kids to eat more vegetables, it’s a home run. Maybe you’re lucky enough to have a rare, vegetable-loving child – the kind who eats handfuls of cherry tomatoes every chance they get.
For those of us with less cooperative kids, it can be tough to find dinners that pack some punch in the vegetable department.
Well here’s a great dish that works the veggies in a little more subtly. It sells itself. If your little ones like lasagne, and especially ricotta, this meal just may be the new win in your dinner repertoire.
Easy Eggplant Roll-ups
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 60 mL (4 tablespoons) olive oil
- 2 large eggplants, sliced 1-centimetre (1/3-inch) wide, lengthwise (about 16 slices total)
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) store bought marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 425-gram (15-ounce) container ricotta
- 10 mL (2 teaspoons) dried oregano
- 500 mL (2 cups) grated mozzarella cheese
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) Kosher salt, 1 mL (1/4 teaspoon) black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F). While it warms up, slice the eggplant lengthwise
- Add 30 mL (2 tablespoons) olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat. Place the eggplant slices and cook until golden brown on both sides
- Line the bottom of a 23x33-centimetre (9x13-inch) baking dish with marinara sauce, about 125 mL (1/2 cup)
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, ricotta, oregano, 250 mL (1 cup) of the mozzarella, and 1 mL (1/4 teaspoon) each salt and pepper together in a bowl separately
- Once the eggplant is cool, place about 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of the ricotta mixture on one end of a slice of eggplant and roll it up
- Move the rolls to the prepared 23x33-centimetre (9x13-inch) baking dish. Repeat until you have all of the eggplant pieces rolled up
- Pour the remaining cup of marinara sauce on top of the roll-ups, and sprinkle with the remaining 250 mL (1 cup) of mozzarella and the Parmesan
- Bake at 200 C (400 F) for 20-25 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and cheese has melted. Wait at least 5 minutes before serving