If you’ve made the decision to go gluten free, snack time can present a challenge. A gluten-free diet avoids the protein gluten, which is primarily found in grains such as wheat, barley and rye. While many restaurants and schools now offer gluten-free options, having a list of quick go-to snacks can help keep you satisfied between meals. Try our eight healthy snack ideas:
- Edamame: These tasty, protein-filled soybeans can be steamed in the microwave and sprinkled with kosher salt for a quick snack. You can also add them to a salad. Remember to pack an extra bowl for discarding the inedible outer pod
- Frozen Grapes: For a chilly, refreshing treat, pop grapes in the freezer before eating to enhance their sweetness
- Dried Fruit and Fruit Leather: Purchase the premade variety, or make your own for a tasty snack
- Homemade Salsa with Gluten-Free Chips:? Jazz up a store-bought bag of gluten-free tortilla chips with a mouthwatering homegrown salsa. Or for a little variety, swap out salsa for creamy guacamole. When you’re finished snacking, pop serving bowls into the dishwasher – Cascade Platinum ActionPacs will take care of the rest
- Popcorn:? Take microwave popcorn to a whole new level by seasoning it with your favorite herbs and spices. Try sprinkling it with cinnamon or chili powder and cheese!
- Homemade Frozen Yogurt or Fruit Pops:? Whip up your own icy confections in mere minutes with one of these easy homemade ice pop recipes. Keep a roll of Bounty paper towels on hand to quickly wipe up sticky drips from tables and countertops
- Hummus with Veggie Sticks:? For a Mediterranean vibe, serve raw carrot and celery sticks with store-bought or homemade hummus for a wholesome snack you’ll feel good about
- Deviled Eggs: ? This picnic and potluck staple is also a yummy, protein-filled snack
When packing snacks for yourself or your child, stay mindful of temperature requirements to keep everything fresh. The cold and frozen snacks should ideally be packed in an insulated lunch box with an ice pack. Toss in a Bounty Quilted napkin, and you’re good to go!