For each of the recipes below, combine all the ingredients, then transfer to a jar and refrigerate for 24 hours to allow flavours to develop. Mustard can be kept in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks with fresh ingredients or up to 6-12 months for mustards with dried herbs.
1. Roasted Garlic Mustard Recipe
Makes: 250 mL (1 cup)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Roast time: 25 minutes
8 cloves garlic
15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
225 grams (8 ounces) Dijon mustard
2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried basil
2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
Tip: If substituting fresh basil and oregano, use 7 mL (1 1/2 tsp) of each, since dried versions are more concentrated.
- Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F)
- Place garlic cloves in a baking dish, and drizzle with olive oil
- Roast 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until garlic is soft
- Mash garlic with a fork and remove tough pieces
- In a mixing bowl, combine garlic with remaining ingredients
2. Raspberry Mustard Recipe
Makes: 375 mL (1 1/2 cups)
Prep time: 10 minutes
250 mL (1 cup) fresh raspberries*
175 mL (3/4 cup) Dijon mustard
10 mL (2 tsp) sugar
1 mL (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
1 mL (1/4 tsp) prepared horseradish
30 mL (2 tbsp) dried, minced onion
*Tip: Substitute frozen raspberries or jam.
- Puree raspberries in a food processor
- In a mixing bowl, combine pureed raspberries with remaining ingredients
3 More Flavored Mustard Recipes
- Horseradish Mustard: Combine 225 grams (8 ounces) sweet hot mustard with 30 mL (2 tbsp) prepared horseradish, 1 mL (1/4 tsp) garlic salt, 1 mL (1/4 tsp) allspice and 1 mL (1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper.
- Peppercorn Mustard: Combine 225 grams (8 ounces) whole grain mustard with 15 mL (1 tbsp) crushed black peppercorns, 2 mL (1/2 tsp) dried tarragon leaves, 1 mL (1/4 tsp) allspice, 1 mL (1/4 tsp) kosher salt.
- Lemon Curry Brown Mustard: Combine 225 grams (8 ounces) spicy brown mustard with 2 mL (1/2 tsp) lemon pepper, 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel.