4 Baseball-Inspired Recipes That Hit it out of the Park
Now that baseball season is in full swing (sorry, we had to!), so are the signature foods that are a part of the experience. Click right to discover 4 fun recipes that celebrate America’s favourite pastime in all its indulgent glory.
Famous Hot Dogs
While we love a regular ol’ hot dog as much as anyone, sometimes it’s even more fun to mix things up. Behold: three recipes that will have your crowd cheering for more:
The Minnesota Brat: Wrap a brat in bacon (because, why not?), place in a pretzel roll and top with sauerkraut, caramelized onion and peppers.
The Los Angeles Dog: Ladle chilli on top of a hot dog and top with cheese and corn chips.
A Lighter Take: Top a beef hot dog with arugula, chopped red onion, feta cheese and balsamic dressing.
P.S. We know these types of foods don’t always, ahem, sit well, but have no fear! Pepto-Bismol’s at the ready to help you feel better.
Ballpark food is all about the ooey-gooey factor, much like these recipes for stuffed burgers. Sink your teeth into these 7 addictive combinations:
Use 30-45 mL (2-3 tablespoons) of filling for each burger:
1. Sautéed onions and mushrooms with shredded pepper Jack cheese
2. Chopped jalapeno peppers with sharp cheddar cheese
3. Crispy cooked and crumbled bacon and soft American cheese
4. Chopped tomatoes, guacamole and queso fresco
5. Fresh pineapple chunks and Havarti cheese
6. Crisply cooked turkey bacon and goat cheese
7. Cucumber, tomato and bell pepper relish with Feta cheese
Cleanup Tip: Magic Erasers are great for getting up pesky grease drippings and burnt cheese. Just be sure to give your grill a good rinse after! Not recommended for stainless steel appliances.
Microwave Caramel Corn
3,000 mL (12 cups) popped popcorn
250 mL (1 cup) brown sugar
50 mL (1/4 cup) corn syrup
125 mL (1/2 cup) butter
2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) salt (if your popcorn doesn’t have added salt)
7 mL (1 1/2 teaspoons) vanilla extract
2 mL (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda
1. Pop your popcorn and put it in a large bowl
2. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt
3. Microwave for 45 seconds. Remove and stir.
4. Microwave for 90 seconds. Remove and stir.
5. Microwave for an additional 90 seconds and stir again.
6. Add vanilla extract and baking powder and stir until it stops fizzing and bubbling.
7. Pour over popcorn and gently fold until well coated. Let cool in bowl or on parchment paper. Enjoy!
2 large hoagie rolls
225 grams (1?2 lb.) deli roast beef (very rare, sliced very thin)
1 white onion, sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
10 mL (2 teaspoons) minced garlic
225 grams (1?2 lb.) provolone cheese (sliced thin)
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium-high
2. Add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized
3. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly. Transfer to a plate
4. Add the meat to the pan. Cook until brown, chopping the meat into smaller portions
5. Add the vegetables to the meat and mix together. Divide into two portions and top with cheese
6. Once cheese has melted, spoon the mixture into the buns. Top with marinara sauce
Make a Double Play Against Messes
Team up against stickier spills with the cleaning action power of Bounty DuraTowel or Bounty with Dawn paper towels.