By: Jackie Bruchez
Devilled eggs are a classic crowd-pleaser. The flavourful appetizer requires only a few simple ingredients and takes just a few minutes to make. Make our classic recipe and then take them to the next level with unexpected toppings!
Devilled Egg Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
10 large eggs
125 mL (1/2 cup) mayonnaise
15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
1/4 finely diced green onions
1 mL (1/4 tsp) hot sauce
1 mL (1/4 tsp) ground pepper
1 mL (1/4 tsp) kosher salt
- Fill the medium saucepan with cold water half way. Gently add eggs and heat on medium until water becomes a rolling boil
- Once boiling, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes
- Carefully remove eggs from pan and run under cold water until cool enough to peel shell
- Once peeled, cut eggs in half and remove egg yolks and place in bowl. Place egg whites on serving dish
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, hot sauce, salt and pepper to the egg yolks. Mash everything together until smooth
- Spoon yolk mixture mounds onto egg whites
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving
10 Unique Topping Ideas
After spooning the yolk mounds onto the egg whites, go wild with toppings!
- Bleu cheese
- Crushed BBQ potato chips
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Dill or rosemary
- Smoked salmon
- Pickled onion
Do you have a tasty topping for devilled eggs? Share it in the comments section below!
Jackie Bruchez is a wife and mother of three living in Solana Beach, Calif. She is the author of the food blog The Seaside Baker, which focuses on delicious baked desserts and the occasional savoury dish. She loves to travel and is currently working on a cookbook featuring West Coast farmers and cuisine.