By: Adam Easterling
You don’t need fancy ovens, pizza stones or hours of dough-making to make restaurant-quality flatbreads at home. Simply buy premade pizza dough and throw it on the backyard grill! Sit back and relax as we explain just how simple it is to become a flatbread fanatic, and we’ll even throw in a few unique topping ideas to add some additional flavour!
Basic Grilled Flatbread Recipe
Tip: Purchase a tube of premade pizza dough from the grocery store for this simple recipe. And while you’re at it, make sure you have Dawn Ultra Dish Soap and Mr. Clean Clean Freak Spray on your shopping list to make your post-dinner cleanup just as simple.
- Heat the oven to 230 C (425 F)
- Unroll your premade dough onto a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil that’s been coated generously with cooking spray. Bake it on a cookie sheet for about 5 minutes (until it starts to brown)
- While that’s baking, coat your grill rack with canola oil, and then fire it up to medium heat
- Remove the dough from the oven. Flip it onto the grill and remove foil. Cook for a few minutes, until bottom of dough is golden brown
- Flip your dough with a large spatula and cook the other side for a couple of minutes, being careful not to brown too much initially (you’ll put this back on the grill later)
- Remove the flatbread from the grill and add whatever toppings you’d like. Turn down the grill to low and place the flatbread back on the grill
- Cover and let cook for a few minutes, until your cheese is melted. Keep in mind the longer you leave it on the grill, the crispier and more charred it becomes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes, then serve
10 Ways to Customize Your Grilled Flatbread
Try these funky flatbread topping ideas, ranging from savoury main dishes to sweet treats.
- Drizzled olive oil, roasted garlic, ham, shaved Parmesan and fresh arugula
- Chopped green onion, sour cream, thin prosciutto and finely sliced green apple
- Cherry tomatoes, spinach, goat cheese, chopped chive and red onion
- Pulled rotisserie chicken, fresh raspberries, marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella
- Black olives, sliced Portobello mushrooms, diced onions and ricotta cheese
- Charred corn, shredded pepper jack cheese, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime
- Roasted sweet potato, Brie, cracked black pepper and rosemary sprigs
- Kale, chorizo sausage and Muenster cheese
- Pulled pork, barbecue sauce and fresh vinegar slaw
- Apple butter, fresh blueberries, roasted peaches and powdered sugar
We know you have some fun ideas for your flatbread toppings. Share them in the comments section below!