Bagged microwave popcorn yields about 750-1250 mL (3-5 cups) popped, but you can stretch your budget by popping bulk corn kernels yourself. Simply scoop them into a brown paper lunch bag, then fold the top over twice. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, until popping slows to 1-2 pops per second. The yield depends on the type of kernel, but as a guideline, 50 mL (1/4 cup) kernels yields about 2500 mL (10 cups) popcorn.
10 Flavoured Popcorn Recipe Ideas
For the best flavour and freshest taste, start with plain, unsalted popcorn and serve immediately.
1. Chocolate Drizzle Popcorn: Spread 1250 mL (5 cups) popcorn on a baking sheet. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave 250-500 mL (1-2 cups) chocolate chips in 30-second increments until smooth and melted, stirring frequently. Using a back and forth motion, drizzle chocolate over popcorn. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired, then refrigerate until set. Break apart.
Tip: Mix in almonds and dried cherries with the chocolate before drizzling, and you’ve got one delicious, nutritious trail mix.
2. Candied Popcorn: Grease a large roasting pan, then fill with 5000 mL (20 cups) popcorn. In a saucepan, combine 250 mL (1 cup) sugar, 7 mL (1/2 tbsp) butter and 50 mL (1/4 cup) water, then boil for 3 minutes. Let cool to lukewarm, pour over popcorn and toss to coat. Scoop onto parchment paper and let cool completely before breaking apart.
Tip: Add 1-2 drops red food colouring to the syrup to make old-fashioned pink popcorn, or colour it to match the holiday or occasion you’re making it for.
3. Chilli Lime Popcorn: Toss 2500 mL (10 cups) popcorn with melted butter to taste, then mix in 5 mL (1 tsp) chilli powder and 10 mL (2 tsp) fresh lime zest.
4. Sugar & Spice Popcorn: Grease a large roasting pan, then fill with 5000 mL (20 cups) popcorn. In a saucepan over low heat, melt 60 mL (4 tbsp) butter. Add 125 mL (1/2 cup) sugar, 30 mL (2 tbsp) water, 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cinnamon and 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Let cool to lukewarm, then pour over popcorn and toss to coat. Bake at120 C (250 F) for 20 minutes, stirring once after 10 minutes.
5. Italian Herb & Cheese Popcorn: Keep 2500 mL (10 cups) popcorn warm in a 100 C (212 F) oven. Melt 30-60 mL (2-4 tbsp) butter, then stir in 5-10 mL (1-2 tsp) dried Italian herbs, 2 mL (1/2 tsp) garlic powder, 50 mL (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with still-warm popcorn.
6. Maple Bacon Popcorn: Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread with 2500 (10 cups) popcorn. Sprinkle with 455 grams (1 pound) thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve 30 mL (2 tbsp) bacon drippings). Combine reserved drippings, 175 mL (3/4 cup) maple syrup, 5 mL (1 tsp) black pepper and 2 mL (1/2 tsp) salt, then drizzle over popcorn, tossing to coat. Spread in a single layer and bake 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Popcorn balls: Use our quick and easy recipe for cute individual popcorn balls.
8. Caramel Corn: Toss 750 mL (3 cups) pre-popped popcorn with 125 mL (1/2 cup) of caramel sauce. Serve immediately. For an extra flavour kick, toss it with 5 mL (1 tsp) of course sea salt.
9. Peanut Butter Popcorn: Spread 2500 (10 cups) popcorn on a baking sheet. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 125 mL (1/2 cup) honey and 75 mL (1/3 cup) sugar. Simmer, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in 125 mL (1/2 cup) peanut butter until melted, then mix in 2 mL (1/2 tsp) vanilla. Pour over popcorn and toss well to coat. Let cool before serving.
Tip: Hosting a party? Set out an assortment of flavoured popcorn for guests to try.
10. Personalized Popcorn: Mix together your favourite herbs, spices and other seasonings to create one-of-a-kind blends, then funnel them into salt shakers. When it’s snack time, just toss popcorn with melted butter or olive oil and seasoning mix to taste.
Tip: If your mix contains anything fresh, like grated cheese or citrus zest, slip a piece of parchment or wax paper over the shaker, then screw on the lid and store in the fridge.