By: Jennifer Lifford
Many people don’t think about cleaning their dishwasher. However, it’s something that should be done regularly to prolong its life. Try this three-step guide and use these tips to keep your dishwasher clean and running smoothly for years to come.
1. Soak the Racks
Remove the racks and utensil holder once a month and soak them in the sink with water, dish soap and 250-500 millilitres (1-2) cups of vinegar.
While the racks are out, look around the drain at the bottom of the dishwasher to make sure that no food particles have accumulated. Clean away any debris with a paper towel. Check the spinning arms to make sure all of the holes are open so water can run through them freely. Use tweezers or a toothpick to remove any gunk.
2. Wipe Down the Interior
Rub down the edges of the door and around the gasket regularly using water and dish soap on a microfiber cloth. These spaces don't actually get washed during the dishwasher cycle, so it’s easy for grime to accumulate. Use a toothbrush to get into all of the tiny, hard-to-reach little areas. Don’t forget to clean the rubber plug at the bottom of the dishwasher too.
3. Remove Hard Water Deposits
- Place 250-500 millilitres (1-2 cups) of vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher or 1 cup in a glass on the top rack of your dishwasher or 250 millilitres (1 cup) in a glass.
- Run the dishwasher through a complete cycle on the hottest wash possible, with no other items in the dishwasher.
- Pause the cycle approximately halfway through and allow the vinegar to sit overnight.
- The next morning, complete the cycle and dry the interior with a cloth.
Before running the dishwasher, turn on your garbage disposal and run hot water through it to clear out any excess grease and clean out the pipes.
It’s important to take care of the dishwasher — it saves you so much time, so why not show it a little love back? With regular cleanings, you can get rid of odours and ensure your dishes come out sparkling after every wash.
Jennifer is the author of the blog Clean & Scentsible, where she shares her passion for organizing, crafting and home décor. She is a mom of two boys and enjoys coming up with fun activities to celebrate the holidays and everyday life with her family.