No matter whether you’re a dog person or a cat person, chances are you wouldn’t categorize yourself as a dirt-and-fur person. Living with pets doesn’t have to mean living with their messes and smells – try our 7 tips for keeping a clean-ish home, even with your furry friends around.
1. Simplify cleaning. Clean up messes as they happen. Put food bowls on pet-friendly placemats and keep a rag near water bowls to clean up spills on the spot.
2. Exercise pets. Well-exercised dogs tend to be more relaxed – and that can translate into a cleaner house. Mellow pooches are less likely to shred that box of Puffs or un-stuff the couch cushions. (They’re also less likely to have an accident on the floor.) Plus, when kids walk them, they get exercise too!
3. Grooming. Brushing pets is an easy chore for kids and helps with housekeeping. Frequent brushing allows you to limit where the fur flies, which means less hair all over the place. Find a nice spot where kids can sit comfortably, and store the brushes there for daily use. Keep a Swiffer sweeper nearby to trap and lock any stray fur and keep it from accumulating.
4. Wipe out stains. Accidents happen and when they do, speed is your best weapon against staining. Cover the spot with paper towels, and then a thick layer of newspaper (if possible, place newspaper under the affected area too). Stand on the pile for a minute, then remove and repeat until area is almost dry. Next, clean the area thoroughly with cool water, blotting out as much water as possible with Bounty paper towels.
5. Wash your pet. Give dogs a footbath as soon as they come inside to help reduce the amount of dirt tracked into your home. Fill a shallow plastic bin with about 1 inch of water, and place a towel nearby for them to step on after a quick paw wash.
6. Scoop cat litter. Dirty litter boxes are the main reason kitties go where they shouldn’t. Boxes should be cleaned daily and topped up with fresh litter. You can also put out an extra box so there’s plenty of room. Take care of this chore yourself rather than delegating to kids.
7. Make it fresh. Use Febreze daily to help manage inanimate allergens that become airborne from soft surfaces, such as pet dander and dust mite matter.* Bonus: It also leaves behind a light fresh scent!
What’s your go-to way to keep your home clean with pets? Let us know in the comments below!
*Refers to inanimate allergens from pet dander and dust mite matter that can become airborne from soft surfaces.