4 Creative Ways to Display Summer Vacation Finds
Turn summer vacation souvenirs to into fun decorations with our 4 ideas.
Summer vacations are the perfect time to collect souvenirs of places you’ve visited as well as memories you’ve made with your family. Read on for four creative ways to hang on to them as décor.
1. Map Your Vacations
Snap a few photographs or gather postcards from each vacation stop and make this crafty piece of décor.
Postcards or photos
An old map
- Draw or trace the outline of the state you vacationed in on a postcard or photograph and the corkboard
- Cut the shape out of the postcard and corkboard
- Glue the cut-out postcard to the cut-out corkboard, allow to dry
- Cover the state on the map with your postcard
- Continue covering each state or country on the map to match your travels
2. Beach Vacation Keepsake Jar
Create this whimsical jar as a reminder of your trip. Include photos of your family, a postcard or shells to personalize it.
Shells or rocks
Other small collectibles or souvenirs
Cleaning sand: Bake sand on a cookie sheet at 120 C (250 F) for one hour to kill bacteria. Let the sand cool before use.
Colouring sand: Mix sand with tempera paint powder in various shades. Find tempera powder in the paint section of your local craft store.
- Place a handful or two of sand into jar
- Insert postcard as background in jar
- Insert shells, rocks and other collectibles and souvenirs into the jar
- Write your vacation destination on a small label and place on front
Tip: Collect some weathered sea glass on your next beachy vacation and use it to decorate your home.
3. Sand Castings
Capture your child's handprints in sand with this simple casting idea.
Plaster of Paris
- Fill pie pan with sand. Smooth and flatten the surface
- Have child press hands into sand, about 1 1/2-centimetre (1/2-inch) deep
- Mix plaster of Paris in baggie according to package directions and pour into indentation
- Using the skewer, write child's name and age on the plaster
- Allow plaster to dry for one hour, or until firm
- Remove casting, and allow to dry for 24 hours
Tip: Mould footprints, shells or other objects from vacation and create a variety.
4. Sand Shadowbox
Fill a shadowbox with your favourite vacation picture, a handful of sand and a few shells or trinkets.
What’s your favourite way to display summer vacation finds? Log in or register and tell us in the comments section below!