Before you decide to start shaving, you need to get all the facts straight. Hair removal is a personal decision, and there are a lot of hair-removal products from which to choose. Trust your instincts just like you do for the makeup and clothes you wear.
Different Methods of Hair Removal for Women
Hair grows just about everywhere, and there are many ways to get rid of it, but you’ll want to learn what’s the best method for you. If you want to get more information on any of these, check out what we have to say on Hair-Removal Methods, where Gillette Venus® gives you the scoop on each of these methods in greater detail.
How to Shave
Step 1: Your hair-removal process starts with a nice shower or a bath (at least a couple of minutes long). This will help soften the hairs for a more comfortable and closer shave.
Step 2: Next, when you are still in the bath or shower, make sure to use a shaving gel for women, like Satin Care Sensitive Skin shave gel. These are great for shaving sensitive skin, it helps keep water in the hair and makes sure that the razor glides easily over your skin, protecting you from potential nicks and cuts and preventing shaving rash and razor bumps.
Step 3: Once you have applied the shave gel, you can start using the razor. Remember to use a light touch with long strokes. The direction you shave will depend on the body part you are shaving.
- For smooth legs, shave from the ankles up.
- For your underarms, shave in all directions—up, down and sideways.
- For the bikini area, shave in the direction of hair growth first (inward) and then against for an extra-close shave. (When you’re ready to start shaving your bikini area, first watch the bikini hair removal video to learn how to do it.)
After each shave, simply rinse and air-dry your razor to help it last longer.
Step 4: End your hair-removal process by patting your skin dry and applying your favorite moisturizer to help keep your skin hydrated, healthy and smooth.
Which Shaving Products Are Right for Me?
There are so many wet-shaving products out there. So, what's the best razor for women? What matters most is selecting the one that is best for you and your skin.
- Start with a five-bladed razor. It may have more blades but these actually give you a better and safer shave! If it's your first shave we recommend Venus Embrace because of its protective ribbon of moisture which helps give a smooth glide and minimize the chances of any nicks and cuts.
- If you are looking for extra scent and moisturisation, we recommend Venus Comfortglide with Olay. It, too, has five blades, but it also comes with flexible Olay moisture bars, which make a lather when you shave, so you don't have to use a shave prep and you can enjoy a nice Olay touch on your skin!
- You can also make your own razor with Venus refillable razors, as any Venus handle fits any Venus blade. Using a refillable razor also means you don't have to replace the entire razor when you are ready for a new one; just replace the cartridges.
- If you prefer disposable razors, however, Venus Simply 3 comes in multiple colors, so you can change your style at any time. It’s great if you are an on-the-go person and want to keep one in your gym bag or day bag. Just use and toss at your own convenience.
- Not sure which Venus razor is right for you? Check out all Venus razors to find a perfect match. And, remember, you really can’t go wrong! All Venus razors have comfort features, like SoftGrip handles for no-slip control, in a range of fun, bright colors, and some are even scented. Plus, most Venus razors have lubricating strips that help the razor glide over your skin to help prevent nicks and cuts.
So, now you’ve got the basics down. Think you’re ready to shave? Great! Remember, there is no right age to start; it’s totally up to you. Shaving is a great way to get rid of unwanted hair for most girls. Plus, it can give you that extra boost of confidence to make you feel like your beautiful self!