Seeking the fountain of youth in the form of skin care? With all the new formulas and findings today, it’s hard to know what really works. To cut through the confusion, we’ve researched what the experts say about reducing wrinkles and removing age spots. Check out our top findings below.
1. Don’t overwash. Cutting down on cleansing can actually save your skin. The natural oils in your face protect skin and keep it moist. Washing too often strips the skin of these vital oils and can cause dryness and irritation, leading to dullness and wrinkles. Staying clean is important, but so is being gentle to your skin. Try using Olay Gentle Clean Foaming Face Cleanser for an effective yet gentle clean.
2. Practice “face yoga.” As strange as it sounds, yoga instructors across the country are teaching face yoga classes or incorporating it into their regular routines. Experts suggest performing simple facial exercises to relieve tension and help you appear younger. So start stretching!
3. Eat the right produce. Many fruits and vegetables contain antioxidant compounds that are great for your skin. Research from the Berlin Charité hospital found that skin with high levels of antioxidants had fewer wrinkles and therefore a more youthful appearance. Include more produce in your diet, and you may be on your way to improved skin.
4. Moisturize. Moisturizing is vital for healthy skin, especially during the fall and winter months. As you grow older, your skin becomes drier. Moisturizers soften lines and wrinkles and keep skin moist for a healthy glow. Help protect against future wrinkles and keep skin hydrated by using a daily moisturizer with SPF 15 or higher, like Olay Complete SPF 15 All Day Moisturizer.
5. Feast on fish. Adding more fish to your diet, especially antioxidant-rich salmon, can be great for your skin. Try topping a salad with tuna or cooking salmon with veggies in a stir-fry or on skewers.
6. Kick your bad habits. Experts have confirmed that smoking causes facial wrinkles and premature aging. Recent studies suggest that it also may age the skin on your body. Worse yet, the American Academy of Dermatology says that smoking can deepen the wrinkles you have. Improve your health and your appearance by quitting smoking.
7. Get your beauty sleep. Nighttime is your body’s chance to mend and renew your skin. Depriving your body of sufficient sleep may also deprive your skin of essential repair time. Your skin best absorbs facial products at night, so apply a moisturizer like Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream before you drift off, and fight aging in your sleep.
8. Hydrate. “Drinking at least eight full glasses of pure, filtered water a day is crucial to keeping your skin well hydrated, smooth and silky,” says dermatologist Jeanette Jacknin, M.D., author of “Smart Medicine for Your Skin.” She adds, “If your skin is dry, fine lines and roughness develop, and your skin will look older and less radiant.” Increase your water intake by drinking a glass each morning when you wake up. Carry a bottle of water with you, and refill it throughout the day. Order water when you eat out, and add a lemon or lime slice to liven up the taste.
9. Get out of the sun. Without sun protection, people who spend lots of time outdoors often develop prematurely aged skin. Staying out of the sun is ideal, but if you plan on being outdoors, sunscreen is a must for preventing skin damage. Jacknin stresses, “The most important habit to develop to prevent wrinkles and age spots is to apply a full-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 15 or greater to your face and hands every morning, even if you are just driving to work in the car.”