From chilly walks in the fresh air to cozy evenings by the fire, fall should be a time to unwind and relax. But when your hair has other ideas – thanks not only to cold air but also the inevitable effects of aging – it can be tricky to achieve smooth, bouncy hair that’s flake and damage free. Here, we’ve solved your most pressing hair issues with these five simple hair care tips so you can enjoy all the delights fall has to offer.
1. It feels dry and brittle. Hair can lose its lustre as we age, and it’s not helped by ever-multiplying greys, which can make it feel even coarser. Add cooler temperatures to the mix, and is it any wonder when your hair doesn’t look or feel great? To help strengthen hair over time, cut down on using heated styling tools and chemical processes. It’s also worth picking up products that focus on smoothing and softening your hair, like Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky 2-in-1, which provides 24-hour frizz control with hair smoothing and helps restore and soften dry hair.
2. It feels thin and lacks volume. Thinning hair is common as we age, but the lack of hydration and humidity in the fall might cause you to lose more hair, too. Root-boosting sprays and treatments are great for this time of year. We like Pantene Age Defy Thickening Treatment, which thickens existing hair for natural-looking fullness that lasts." href="https://www.pantene.ca/en-ca/product/advanced-thickening-treatment">Pantene Age Defy Thickening Treatment, which thickens existing hair for natural-looking fullness that lasts.
3. Your scalp is itchy and flaky. Decreasing oestrogen levels during menopause can cause a dry scalp, and cold weather draws out the moisture in our hair, resulting in extreme dryness that can lead to dandruff. Luckily, Head & Shoulders Clinical Solutions Anti-Dandruff Shampoo gently moisturizes while treating persistent flakes, scalp tightness and irritation. Plus, it’s gentle enough to use every day, meaning no more panicked dandruff checks in the bathroom mirror on the way out the door.
4. You’re battling static. Putting on (and then taking off) sweaters, coats and hats can leave hair with a mind of its own, thanks to static. Whatever you do, don’t cut down on the number of times you wash your hair. In fact, if you think your shampoo could be drying out your hair and causing static, trade it in for a different one – we like Pantene Age Defy Shampoo.
5. You notice split ends. If you’re not seeing your hairdresser every six to eight weeks, it’s time to book an appointment – a regular trim can help prevent damaged hair and pesky split ends. Because our hair loses water and becomes dryer as we age, our hair can look duller and less healthy, which means it’s never been more important to visit the salon.
What helpful winter hair care tips do you have? Log in or register, and share your tips in the comment section below!